Thursday, July 28, 2011

Really, It's Over?




Boy, did that 1st year fly by.... Seems like yesterday, we were patiently awaiting the birth of our little girl.  Now she is 1?  What a wonderful year we had together.  There may have been some tough times (o.k., there were a lot), but the joy of seeing this little infant grow into a person with her very own personality overshadows any of the obstacles we may have faced. 

At her 12 month appt, the Dr. informed me the 1st year is all physical, but the 2nd year is all mental.  Wuuuuuaaaaaattttt?  She is going to play mental games on me?   So I say, I will take this challenge and do my best to play well.  Luckily, the doc, Dr. Bubba (as he so affectionately likes to be called), has given me a step up.  He recommended the book, "Screamfree Parenting: The Revolutionary Approach to Raising Your Kids by Keeping Your Cool" by Hal Edward Runkel.  Well, I couldn't just stop there and we all know Borders is going out of business, so I had to do my part to the stimulate the economy and stocked up on some more parenting books.  Here are the 3 I purchased:  "Bringing Up Girls" by Dr. James Dobson, "Prudent Advice: Lessons for My Baby Daugther ( A Life List for Every Woman)" by Jamie Morrison Curtis and "Baby Sign Language Basics: Early Communication for Hearing Babies and Toddlers" by Monta Z. Briant.  I think I am set for now.  It's a little overwhelming thinking of all the things I need to teach her, want to teach her and should teach her.  When will I have time to clean the house, do laundry, iron, shop for groceries, cook and try to make myself look presentable when I am trying to learn how to shape my child into a productive and humble human being? Ahhhhh!!!  Deep breath in.....and exhale.  As I give a slap on my butt to get in the game, I can do this parenting thing and I look forward to all of the adventures, good and bad. 

1 comment:

  1. You still do everything with such grace, class and humility... there's no question! Love this post. :)

    ReplyDelete